Friday, April 10, 2015

My first Experience with Prednisone

Oh Prednisone! What a relationship I've had with it! I've had my auto-immune disease for nearly 20 years now (diagnosed at age 8). I've rarely had a year since then that I haven't needed Prednisone at some point. In my personal opinion, I feel like I learn something new about Prednisone every time I'm on it! Through the years, I've learned how to navigate the side effects of Prednisone to some extent but it certainly didn't start that way!

After a LONG diagnosis process I was finally diagnosed with a disease called Systemic Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (Systemic JRA) at the age of 8. Very shortly after finally receiving that diagnosis I was introduced to Prednisone in a big way! My doctor put me on 60mgs of Prednisone daily which for a sickly, 45lb, 8 year old girl, that's a pretty massive dose. 

Now at this point I had become more accustomed to medication so I was not hesitant to take Prednisone. However, in my young mind I was not familiar with the idea that a medication could be both a treatment and a problem. At that point I'd never taken any medications that had any side effects, at least side effects that I noticed anyway. This was both a blessing and a curse. Why? Because had I known what the side effects of Prednisone were I probably would have been looking for them and that would have caused a lot of anxiety from the get go. However, knowing what the side effects of Prednisone were before hand might have allowed my mom, family, and I to be better prepared for how the Prednisone would change me physically and emotionally. 

I can clearly remember going on Prednisone at the beginning of winter break, which at my school was roughly 2 weeks. The first few days on Prednisone I really didn't notice anything at all. I wasn't anticipating any side effects and I was relieved to finally be feeling better. And, boy, Prednisone can definitely get your disease under control quickly! It was wonderful! Almost over night my fevers started to disappear and joint pain and swelling diminished.

Then one day about 10-12 days after going on Prednisone my little brother pointed out to me that my face was looking bigger. I know that's not a very long time on Prednisone to be seeing side effects but when you are very small the higher doses will potentially effect you with more severity, sooner. And that's exactly what happened to me. I remember looking intently in the mirror and finding that my face did look quite a bit different and I was shocked and very sad. That the the first time I ever realized the side effects of Prednisone.

My mom and I soon met with my doctor to talk about the side effects. I remember that conversation. There was a lot I still didn't understand and I was very upset. I was worried about my friends and what the kids at school would say. I found that I was having a lot of trouble controlling my emotions and became upset very quickly. I started putting on weight, something I had struggled to do my entire life. It changed so much about who I was.

When I went back to school the first day was really rough. Every kid had a question! Some of them were just plain mean and some of them meant well but it was still overwhelming. I was still learning to accept Prednisone as part of my life and the changes it brought and I still didn't understand Prednisone very well myself. Over the first few weeks I was bullied pretty bad, some kids were afraid I was contagious, and some kids offered advice on how to get feeling better. I became very outspoken about my condition and the more I learned about Prednisone the more I told my classmates. School became a lot more bearable after that.

My first sentence with Prednisone was a long one. I ended up staying on Prednisone at varying doses for just short of 3 years. My mom was always quick to point out when the side effects seemed to be going away. It was a huge encouragement to me. I struggled with self confidence for a long time but I still had a very full life. My family, especially my mom and brothers were very supportive. My mom was always there to hug me and talk with me when the kids at school were mean and my brothers tried to protect me as well.

That first time on Prednisone taught me a lot! My family and friends helped to remind me that the effects of Prednisone didn't define me. I was still able to enjoy life despite the changes. I learned to be strong emotionally. Most importantly I learned to have compassion for others who were sick like I was. I learned how important it is not to judge a book by it's cover because you just never know what someone else might be suffering with.

And let me tell you guys, the side effects, they certainly don't last forever. It might feel like a long journey and honestly in the moment sometimes it really is but there is a light at the end of the tunnel:)

No comments:

Post a Comment